Y2K Thailand
home.gif (2273 bytes)
y2kcenter-menu.gif (3297 bytes)
services-menu.gif (3315 bytes)
Y2K Newsroom
Y2K Tools
Send your question and feedback to us
Y2K Thailand

Thailand entered the New Year without Y2K problems

 

Deputy Prime Minister Dr. Trairong Suwankhiri, Chairman of Thailand's National Y2K Coordinating Committee presented the first official report after midnight via live audio conference to Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn and Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai who attended the New Year celebration at Trang Province. At 1:30 a.m. of January 1st, 2000, he reconfirmed to the press that all public agencies reported no Y2K-related problems to National Y2K Command Center. .

The reports came from Y2K command centers of all government agencies and all 76 provinces nationwide. The four major super-critical sectors, namely: power and energy, telecommunication and transportation, finance, and public security, began the new year without Y2K glitch. This message was also confirmed in the live-video conferences between Deputy Prime Minister Dr. Trairong and Y2K command centers of Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Transport and Communication, Telephone Organization of Thailand, and the Petroleum Authority of Thailand. Furthermore, there had been no report of any large-scale inconveniences in other sectors.

Dr. Trairong stated that approximately 80% of the 962 calls to national Y2K command center between 10.00 a.m. of December 31st, 1999 until 1.00 a.m. of January 1st, 2000, were inquiries about Y2K in general. The other 20% were reported incidents. However, follow ups of these incidents so far, have not linked them to Y2K problems. Some of these were related to scheduled temporary shut down of services during the cross over. For example, several banks announced that their ATM services were suspended for a few hours before midnight to back up their systems.

The absence of major disturbances is evidenced that the investment for solving Y2K problems had paid off, said Dr. Trairong. He thanked all public agencies for their cooperation and their commitment, which have prevented disastrous economic and social losses.

National Y2K command center will continue to monitor the situation until January 4th, 2000, and again, at the end of February to maintain precaution and to ensure that no problem occurs.

Reported by
Thailand National Y2K Command Center
1 January 2000 at 4:00 am.

line.GIF (5301 bytes)

[Y2K Center]  [Y2K Services] [Y2K Tools] [Newsroom] [Feedback]

Please send your comment to y2kcenter@nectec.or.th
Copyright 1998 NECTEC / NSTDA All Rights Reserved.
National Electronics and Computer Technology Center, National Science and Technology Development Agency.
Ministry of Science Technology and Environment